JOB OPENING: Part-time Senior Reference Library Assistant
Plainsboro Public Library seeks an energetic and self- motivated Senior Reference Library Assistant for a part-time position. A Reference Library Assistant works alongside the professional librarians at the Reference Desk or works independently as dictated by department need. A Reference Library Assistant conducts ready-reference using print and digital resources. A Reference Library Assistant performs preliminary reference interviews on more complex questions that are referred to professional library staff. A Senior Reference Library Assistant is attuned to technology trends and is comfortable using various forms of technology. A Senior Reference Library Assistant provides notary public services to the public.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Answering ready-reference requests at the Reference Desk or over the phone to patrons of all ages;
- Providing preliminary reference interviews on complex research requests such as health, business, and other specialized requests and the ability to accurately relay the information to professional librarians;
- Providing instruction in the use of library catalog, website, e-Books and e-Magazine collections;
- Maintaining knowledge of key library print and electronic resources within a department, including, but not limited to, common websites and search engines, databases and digital content collections in assist patrons;
- Submitting interlibrary loan requests through Jersey Cat system;
- Providing Notary Public services to residents;
- Answering and routing telephone calls;
- Providing customers with directional assistance and/or directing them to the appropriate service desk for help;
- Providing customers with assistance at the public computers and printers including troubleshooting problems;
- Receiving and responding to customer compliments, complaints and suggestions; and
- Performing related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
A Senior Reference Library Assistant must have some knowledge of:
- library software, apps and common computer software such as MS Office;
- mobile devices, library online catalogs, subject-specialized databases, e-Books and e-Magazines; technology trends; and
- trends that impact public libraries.
A Senior Reference Library Assistant must have the ability to:
- communicate ideas clearly with patrons, library management and colleagues;
- work independently and show initiative; and
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Reference Supervisor, library staff and customers.
Education and experience: A Senior Reference Library Assistant must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Experience working in a library or computer setting is a plus and some experience or work dealing with the public. A Senior Reference Library Assistant must meet the qualifications to be appointed as a Notary Public; must be 18 years or older and never been convicted of a crime under the laws of any state or the United States, for an offense involving dishonesty, or a crime of the first or second degree.
Schedule: 11 hours each week; Sundays 10:00-5 pm and Mondays 4:30-8:30pm. Flexibility to cover additional shifts when needed preferred.
Salary: $17.75 per hour
Application: For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to: Plainsborojobs@lmxac.org Include “Reference Part-time Position” in the email subject line. Please no phone calls. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful background and reference check and include a six month probationary period. Plainsboro Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”