JOB OPENING: Part-time Youth Services Librarian
Plainsboro Public Library seeks an energetic and self- motivated Youth Services Librarian for a part-time position. The ideal candidate will provide friendly, high quality customer service to library patrons and has an in-depth knowledge of children’s literature with the ability to provide high quality readers advisory. They create and execute programs under the direction of the Head of Youth Services and participate in executing department initiatives and programs.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide reference service in person, by telephone and electronically to the children, tweens, teens and their caregivers;
- Assist customers in the use of department resources, print and electronic;
- Provides high quality reader’s advisory to assist customers in selecting materials appropriate for their age group, interest and reading capabilities;
- Provide information about and registration for department programs;
- Provides customers with assistance at the public computers and equipment in the Science Center including troubleshooting problems;
- Oversees and directs the work of library pages and volunteers;
- Developing and executing department programs, including traditional programming as well as special events and performers, summer reading clubs, and “maker” activities that maximize use of the Science Center in the department;
- Participating in the weeding and maintenance and display of all department collections; and
- Participating in the selection of materials for the children’s, tween and teen collections;
- Ability to guide customers out of the building during emergency evacuations; and
- Performing related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
A Youth Services Librarian must have some knowledge of:
- the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation;
- current trends in the delivery of library services to children, tweens and teens;
- children’s, tween and teen literature and resources;
- library software, apps and common computer software such as MS Office; and
- library research techniques.
A Youth Services Librarian must have the ability to:
- to maintain accurate records and statistics and complete reports;
- plan and execute children’s programs;
- to exercise initiative and independent judgment;
- to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department supervisor, library staff and patrons; and
- to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
Education and experience: A Youth Services Librarian must have a Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school. Some experience working as a Youth Services Librarian in a public library is preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of children’s literature is expected. A New Jersey Professional Librarian Certificate must be on file.
Schedule: 18 hours per week; Sundays 9:30 -5 pm, Mondays 1-8:30 pm and Tuesdays 4:30-8:30 pm.
Salary: $27.90 per hour for MLS Librarian
Application: For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to: Plainsborojobs@lmxac.org Include “YS Part-time Position” in the email subject line. Please no phone calls. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful background and reference check and include a six month probationary period. Plainsboro Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”