Notary Public Service Policy
The Plainsboro Public Library offers notary services to Plainsboro residents and those who work in Plainsboro. Proof of current residency is required.
- Notary Service is available Saturday & Sunday 10 – 4pm and Wednesday 4-8pm. Patrons must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled end time to ensure adequate time to process the paperwork.
- Notary service is provided on a first-come, first serve basis during the scheduled times.
- Valid photo identification is required of any patron seeking notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person per day.
- There will be a $2.00/per signature charge on each page including original documents and photocopy pages.
- The library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from patrons. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Foreign language documents cannot be notarized unless the notarial certificate itself is in English.
- New Jersey law requires that a notary and the patron seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator.
- Public documents that cannot be copied and notarized are birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
- Notary service is not available for deeds, real estate closings, wills, living wills & trusts, which require legal knowledge.
- In accordance with NJ notarial law, notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, or doubt. The library notary may, at her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.
- Documents must be complete and must be signed in the presence of the notary.
Proposed and adopted by the Library Board of Trustees: April 3, 2012
Revised and adopted on May 6, 2014
Revised and adopted December 6, 2016